Finding a “good fit” with a group of practitioners is essential for peace of mind throughout your pregnancy.
Our goal is to meet your medical needs and exceed your expectations during your prenatal appointments, labor and delivery, and postpartum period. In most cases, you have the choice of receiving your obstetrical care either from our obstetricians or our certified nurse midwives. During your visits early in your pregnancy, we’ll discuss these options with you in detail. So that you can make the best choice, we strongly encourage you to explore both options even if you already have an understanding of what each group of practitioners can offer.
Meet our Obstetricians
- Drs. Fitzgerald, Case, Hallowell, Ollari, Junnila and Thompson all deliver babies.
- Focused on providing the highest standards of pregnancy care, even in complex situations.
- Extensive training and years of experience in both routine care as well as in pregnancies and deliveries that challenge maternal and neonatal health.
- Perform both vaginal and cesarean deliveries at Baystate Medical Center.
Meet our Certified Nurse Midwives
- Our nurse midwives include Susan Libbos, Mary Barber, Denise Vincent, Julie Bell, Suzanne Starling, Kaitlyn Dorman, and Kyrsten Scott-Smith.
- Private, premier midwifery practice (All About Women Midwifery) with the complete support of our obstetricians when medically indicated.
- Highly skilled with over 100 years of combined clinical experience
- Focused on delivering high quality, routine obstetrical care that incorporates their midwifery backgrounds.
- Offering group prenatal visits (CenteringPregnancy) as well as traditional prenatal visits.
- Perform routine vaginal deliveries at Baystate Medical Center.
Help me choose
During your early prenatal visits, we'll help you choose the option that is right for you. It’s best to approach the decision with your expectations in mind not only for your visits, but also for your labor and delivery. Although a midwife and an obstetrician may have different approaches to prenatal care and delivery, from either group you will receive the same core of exemplary pregnancy care based on modern medical knowledge in a relaxed, patient friendly environment.
Because of the collaboration between our physicians and nurse midwives, you can be assured that whatever option you choose, you always have complete access to the highest level of prenatal care that you deserve. This PDF lists common questions regarding our midwifery program and pregnancy care.
Once I have decided
Once you have made a decision between our obstetricians and nurse midwives, you may want to consider scheduling at least one of your prenatal appointments with each obstetrician or each midwife to establish a comfortable relationship with the practitioner who may be on call when you deliver. Even if you decide on midwifery care and the need arises for an obstetrician to care for you and your baby due to medical necessity, our steadfast goal is to maintain the integrity of your expectations.